DeFi Llama: Analytics Dashboard for Professional Traders
Decentralized Finance (DeFi) represents a transformative force in the blockchain realm, poised to reshape traditional finance with its decentralized, permissionless framework powered by distributed ledger technology (DLT) and blockchain-based applications (DApps). Its core mission is to democratize financial services, making them more secure, efficient, and transparent for all.
Since its meteoric rise in the summer of 2020, famously dubbed "the DeFi summer," DeFi has seen its ecosystem expand dramatically. By 2024, the sector boasted over 1235 projects, with the total value locked (TVL) in DeFi platforms soaring past $850 billion. This rapid expansion, underscored by the sector's decentralized ethos, presents a challenge for investors eager to stay abreast of developments across this diverse, multi-chain landscape.
Enter DeFi Llama, a comprehensive analytics platform tailored for savvy traders and investors. As a leading TVL aggregator, DeFi Llama offers invaluable insights into the DeFi space, tracking the total value locked across various chains and their respective DApps. This tool empowers users with up-to-the-minute cross-chain data, illuminating the state of DeFi, including protocol popularity and liquidity.
This piece delves into everything you need to know about DeFi Llama, spotlighting its features, exploring its standing among competitors, and guiding you on leveraging its capabilities to the fullest.
What Is DefiLlama
DefiLlama emerges as a pivotal resource in the evolving landscape of decentralized finance (DeFi), offering a comprehensive analytics dashboard that enhances the understanding and accessibility of DeFi platforms and their decentralized applications (DApps). Launched in the dynamic year of 2020 alongside the burgeoning DeFi sector, DefiLlama has swiftly expanded its scope to encompass a vast array of services that cater to the intricate needs of crypto enthusiasts and professional traders alike.
This platform distinguishes itself by meticulously compiling publicly available blockchain data into intelligible charts, graphs, and tables, thus democratizing access to complex financial information. With a steadfast commitment to transparency and accuracy, DefiLlama eschews advertisements and sponsored content, ensuring that its data remains unbiased and reliable. The open-source nature of its data, coupled with the convenience of not requiring users to sign up or connect a crypto wallet, positions DefiLlama as a user-friendly gateway to DeFi analytics.
At the heart of DefiLlama's offerings is its role as the largest aggregator of Total Value Locked (TVL) in the DeFi sector. TVL serves as a critical metric, indicating the amount of crypto assets deposited in liquidity pools, lending protocols, and staked across various DeFi projects. Tracking over 2,400 protocols across 181 blockchains, DefiLlama provides a panoramic view of the DeFi ecosystem with a combined TVL surpassing $58 billion. This expansive coverage extends to yields, revenues, fundraises, and even Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) on 21 marketplaces, showcasing the platform's versatility and depth.
DefiLlama's infrastructure is built on a foundation of transparency and community collaboration. It aggregates cross-chain data on the state of decentralized finance, presenting cumulative data for all chains combined. This aggregation is made possible through the diligent work of a community-driven team coordinating via the DefiLlama/DefiLlama-Adapters GitHub repository. The platform's SDK supports Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) chains, with provisions for projects on other chains through fetch adapters. These technical underpinnings enable DefiLlama to offer real-time insights into over 1,750 DeFi protocols and more than 130 different blockchains.
Beyond mere data aggregation, DefiLlama extends its services under the umbrella of LlamaCorp, which includes portfolio trackers, RPC provider services, and crypto news reporting. This comprehensive suite of services underscores DefiLlama's commitment to facilitating a nuanced understanding of the DeFi space, empowering users to navigate the platform and leverage its data for informed decision-making.
As the DeFi landscape continues to evolve, platforms like DefiLlama are indispensable for traders, investors, and enthusiasts seeking to stay abreast of market trends and opportunities. By promoting transparency and offering a wealth of actionable insights, DefiLlama not only serves as a critical tool for market analysis but also as an educational resource for those new to the DeFi realm, ultimately contributing to the broader adoption and understanding of decentralized financial systems.
What Is Total Value Locked (TVL)
The Total Value Locked (TVL) represents the cornerstone metric provided by DeFiLlama, encapsulating the aggregate sum of crypto assets or tokens allocated within DeFi protocols. This metric serves as a barometer for gauging user trust and engagement with these platforms, with an uptrend in TVL typically reflecting heightened user confidence and participation. TVL is assessed in USD terms, accounting for the value of tokens held in smart contracts across various categories:
- Staking Pools: Assets, including liquidity provider tokens where one token in the pair is the governance token, are secured in diverse staking pools on Proof-of-Stake blockchains. Here, stakers gain interest proportional to their staked assets.
- Lending: DeFi platforms facilitate lending services through smart contracts, incorporating the tokens locked across these platforms into TVL calculations. Token lenders receive interest earnings on their contributions.
- Liquidity: The presence of liquidity in DeFi projects signals the community's trust and endorsement. Participants providing their tokens to a project receive incentives for liquidity mining.
It's crucial to understand that TVL does not predict the potential earnings from deposits but merely quantifies the total value of tokens within the ecosystem. Factors influencing the TVL of a DeFi protocol include:
- Deposits and Withdrawals: The TVL fluctuates with user transactions, including both deposits into and withdrawals from DeFi projects.
- Token Price Variations: Changes in the prices of tokens associated with DeFi projects, including native tokens, impact the TVL.
Given the volatile nature of cryptocurrency prices, TVL is subject to frequent changes. A decline in token prices does not inherently suggest a net withdrawal of capital from the project.
For DeFi protocols operating across multiple blockchains, the TVL can vary between these networks. With a significant number of DeFi projects based on Ethereum, this blockchain hosts the largest TVL.
Insight: While the market capitalization of a DeFi protocol reflects the level of investor support, both active and passive, TVL offers a direct measure of a protocol's operational success within the DeFi landscape.
How does DefiLlama work?
DefiLlama stands at the forefront of aggregating decentralized finance (DeFi) data, providing an indispensable resource for tracking the pulse of the DeFi market. Renowned for its comprehensive coverage, DefiLlama encompasses a wide array of DeFi projects, including decentralized exchanges (DEXs), lending platforms, and liquid staking protocols. This aggregation facilitates a holistic view of the DeFi landscape, allowing users to easily monitor key metrics such as total value locked (TVL), trading volume, and liquidity across the sector.
As an open-source initiative, DefiLlama is dedicated to the unbiased collection of on-chain data. Protocols seeking to be listed on the platform can submit their code for retrieving on-chain TVL figures, or alternatively, provide an API or subgraph. This openness extends to DefiLlama's adapters, which are also open-source, enabling projects to self-list subject to approval by the vibrant GitHub community behind DefiLlama. The accuracy of the data is as reliable as the smart contracts it derives from, thanks to direct sourcing from the blockchain.
Upon accessing DefiLlama's website, visitors are greeted by an intuitive dashboard showcasing a comprehensive chart of TVL across various DeFi activities. The homepage presents a detailed breakdown of TVL rankings for DApps in USD, the TVL across different blockchains, and insights into profit generation, insurance protocols, and decentralized exchanges, alongside their fluctuation over different time frames.
DefiLlama offers a seamless navigation experience, allowing users to explore TVL rankings by specific blockchains—such as Ethereum, Terra, and Fantom—or opt for a broad market overview. Selecting a blockchain reveals the leading DeFi applications by TVL on that network, providing insights into cross-chain compatibility and highlighting the top exchanges and platforms without the need for exhaustive individual research.
The site's left-hand menu offers quick access to diverse segments of the DeFi ecosystem, including chains, DeFi forks, airdrops, oracles, and stablecoins, enriching the user's understanding and exploration of decentralized finance.
DefiLlama's expansive database aggregates data from over 80 Layer 1 blockchains and hundreds of decentralized applications, showcasing the growth and dynamism of DeFi. This wealth of information is freely accessible, supported by a public API for easy integration into other websites, underscoring DefiLlama's commitment to openness and the dissemination of knowledge.
The trustworthiness of DefiLlama's aggregated data is anchored in the transparency of open protocols. Blockchain data is public, enabling detailed tracking of all trading activities on decentralized apps like UniSwap through oracles or Ethereum block explorers. DefiLlama's comprehensive statistics highlight the explosive growth of DeFi trading since 2020, reflecting the platform's role as a pivotal resource for understanding and navigating the burgeoning DeFi space.
DeFiLlama has expanded its offerings with several new functionalities to enhance its TVL aggregation service. These features include:
- Chain-Specific TVL Data: Users can now explore the Total Value Locked (TVL) for specific protocols across multiple blockchains. This feature sheds light on the distribution and presence of a protocol on different chains, illustrating the spread of its assets.
- Market Capitalization Insights: In addition to TVL metrics, DeFiLlama offers insights into a protocol's market capitalization, enabling a deeper analysis of a protocol’s valuation relative to its TVL.
- Dynamic Charts: The platform introduces charts that detail the inflow and outflow of assets within a protocol, offering a visual representation of its financial movements and potential future trajectory.
- Blockchain TVL Data: With data on over 130 blockchains, DeFiLlama tracks and displays the TVL of individual chains. Users can select any blockchain to view a list of DeFi projects operating within that ecosystem.
- Stablecoin Market Cap Analysis: An often-overlooked feature, the Stablecoin Market Cap chart, presents a comprehensive overview of the market capitalization for stablecoins, broken down by asset and blockchain. This includes detailed metrics such as market cap, chain-specific data, stablecoin pricing, and more.
- Yield Rankings: A key offering from DeFiLlama categorizes yield information into three distinct sections:
- Pools: Detailed pool data including project names, chains, TVL, changes in TVL, and anticipated Annual Percentage Yield (APY).
- Overview: A heatmap showcasing APY across various protocols alongside charts comparing average APY to market volatility.
- Projects: Offers insights into the number of pools per protocol, aggregate TVL, audits conducted, and the median APY.
These enhancements aim to provide users with a comprehensive toolkit for navigating the DeFi space, enabling informed decision-making based on detailed analytics and trends across the decentralized finance landscape.
What data does DefILlama track?
DefiLlama provides comprehensive coverage of numerous protocols spanning across all significant blockchains. It includes support for Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM)-compatible blockchains like Polygon, Fantom, and various Ethereum layer 2 networks, facilitating interoperability with Ethereum.
The DefiLlama platform features several key tools and data insights, including:
- Yield Tracking: Offers insights into potential yields DeFi participants can achieve across various protocols and tokens.
- LlamaSwap: A trading utility designed to optimize token swaps by ensuring users get the best prices coupled with minimal fees.
- Token Unlock Updates: A dedicated section for monitoring the scheduled market release of tokens.
- Centralized Exchange (CEX) Transparency Monitor: Delivers insights into the operations of centralized exchanges, including information on the assets they manage.
- Cross-Chain Bridge Data: Aids in the analysis of transaction flows and volumes across bridges, enabling cryptocurrency transfers between different blockchains.
- Governance Proposal Tracker: Facilitates the monitoring of protocol governance activities undertaken by Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs).
- Hack/Exploit History: Chronicles security breaches across protocols, detailing the losses incurred and the nature of the vulnerabilities exploited.
- Borrow Aggregator: Simplifies the process of lending and borrowing within DeFi by offering a comprehensive view of the market, aiding in the identification of protocols with less risk and more favorable lending conditions.
Please note that Plisio also offers you:
- Zen Cart
- Easy Digital Downloads
6 libraries for the most popular programming languages
19 cryptocurrencies and 12 blockchains
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- Tron (TRX)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Dash (DASH)
- DogeCoin (DOGE)
- Zcash (ZEC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Tether (USDT) ERC20 and TRX20 and BEP-20
- Shiba INU (SHIB) ERC-20
- BitTorrent (BTT) TRC-20
- Binance Coin(BNB) BEP-20
- Binance USD (BUSD) BEP-20
- USD Coin (USDC) ERC-20
- TrueUSD (TUSD) ERC-20
- Monero (XMR)